While Sri Lanka has many popular attractions, there are also several hidden gems that are worth exploring. Here are some of the lesser-known but equally stunning places to visit in Sri Lanka:
- Ella: A small town located in the central highlands, Ella is known for its stunning natural scenery, including waterfalls, hiking trails, and panoramic views of the surrounding hills and tea plantations.
- Jaffna: Located in the northern part of the country, Jaffna is a vibrant city with a rich cultural heritage. Visitors can explore historic temples, taste delicious Jaffna cuisine, and experience the unique Tamil culture of the region.
- Kalpitiya: This coastal town is a popular spot for kitesurfing and other water sports. It also offers opportunities for dolphin and whale watching, as well as stunning sunsets over the Indian Ocean.
- Dambulla Cave Temple: While not exactly hidden, the Dambulla Cave Temple is often overshadowed by other attractions like Sigiriya and Polonnaruwa. This temple features stunning Buddhist rock art and is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- Kithulgala: Located in the central highlands, Kithulgala is a small town surrounded by forests and rivers. Visitors can enjoy white-water rafting, hiking, and other outdoor activities, as well as explore nearby waterfalls and caves.
- Trincomalee: This coastal city is known for its pristine beaches, ancient temples, and rich history. Visitors can explore the historic Fort Frederick, snorkel or dive at Pigeon Island, and enjoy delicious seafood.
- Haputale: Another small town located in the central highlands, Haputale is known for its stunning views of the surrounding hills and tea plantations. Visitors can also explore nearby hiking trails and waterfalls.
- Anuradhapura: This ancient city was once the capital of Sri Lanka and is home to many important Buddhist ruins, including the famous Jetavanaramaya stupa and the Abhayagiri Monastery.
These hidden gems offer a chance to discover some of the lesser-known but equally beautiful and interesting places in Sri Lanka. Whether you are interested in nature, culture, or outdoor activities, Sri Lanka has something for everyone to explore and enjoy.